Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Staying Patient



No blog needed to play. Come out and play for a chance to get a seat in the Tournament of Champions. And make sure to tune in to The Best Poker Radio Show on the Internet.

I have to say congrats to Fuel55 for his cash in the BC Poker Championships Main Event. He will tell you he is disappointed he didn't finish higher, but 12 out of 664 in a $2500 buy in is very good. Please check out his site and congratulate him too.

I haven't posted much lately because I have had several down sessions in the last week. I have cashed in a few SNG's but mostly lost on the cash tables. I am trying to really step back and evaluate my strengths and weaknesses as I want to be at the top of my game for the TOC (in which I do have a seat).

I know I have said this before, but it is worth repeating: I need to stay patient. Many times, when I lose a hand that I was ahead going in, I tilt. Sometimes only slightly. Sometimes it is bad; really bad! But when I look back at my winning sessions versus my losing sessions, I realize that the losing sessions are when I tilt and start loosening up my play. I even try to over-bluff and that is just plain stupid on the Internet. Let's face it, few donkeys at the .25/.50 levels are folding top pair on the river, even after a flush or straight is possible. So you can't bluff like you have it. Top pair with ANY kicker is calling down to the river most of the time. So, you have to play solid poker.

My winning sessions have been after I play patient, trying to limit the pot sizes on my losing hands and maximize my gains on winning hands. If you don't have the nuts, and your opponent is acting like they do: THEY DO. Sure, you will get bluffed out once in a while, but if you are keeping the pots small that you lose, you will come out +EV. How many times do you see people calling your pre-flop raise with K7o/s? A lot on the Internet anywhere under the $1/$2 levels. But K7 is gold with a K79 flop to your AK. And that's OK, just remember that the donkey betting into you after that flop probably has your AK beat. Keep the pot small, take your lumps and then get him back when you hit your set or straight. Because he will call you down with TPany kicker.

Check out a great blog here and a great story here. Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

Stay patient...

Tournament: Mondays at the Hoy
When: Every Monday. 10pm ET
Game: NLHE Deepstack
Buyin: $24+2
Password: hammer

Tournament: The Mookie
When: Every Wednesday. 10pm ET
Game: NLHE Deepstack
Buyin: $10+1
Password: vegas1

Tournament: Riverchasers Online Poker Tour
When: Every Thursday. 21:00 ET
Game: NLHE Deepstack
Buyin: $10+1
Password: Riverchasers

No comments: