Thursday, January 31, 2008

Yes, yes, y'all - you don't stop

I have been reading the FTP Strategy Guide. So far, it is a very good read. The interesting thing about it is that you get several different authors in one book. Therefore, you get several different viewpoints on how to play hold'em tournaments. I have not gotten to the Razz or Omaha sections yet, but they are in there as well.

For example: The chapter from Chris Ferguson talks about bet sizing and keeping your raises and or bets consistent, with small variations based on position. This keeps you from giving away too much information about your hand. However, Ted Forest writes in his chapter about how he uses limping in to throw his opponents off. I really like it though because you can pick out the information that best fits your style and apply it to your play.

I really need to work on my play from about the middle of the tournament until the bubble bursts. I play aggressive, but tight enough to make it through the beginning of a tournament. And I think I can hold my own through a final table. It's the middle that gives me trouble. I think, more specifically, I get too aggressive just before the bubble. I assume that people are going to lay down cards because we are so close to the money.

Like last Saturday, when I got a guy to put 90% of his chips in with 3rd pair and we were 4 spots from the money. That aggressiveness is good if I am on a semi-bluff, but with a draw only, I was out in 9th, and I very easily could have folded to the money that night. Stay patient, right? I keep telling myself that. I just don't like to "fold to the money", I would rather take shots that can move me up in chips fast.

It also could be the buy in levels I am playing at. The bubble in a $2 online tournament, is not very respected. I probably need to slow down and keep the "tight" play going right through the middle of the tournament. I just hate getting blinded out when I am card dead. Look at Chris Ferguson's Challenge. It took him 15 months to break $1,000 but then less than 2 more months to break $10,000. This certainly has to do with the kind of players that are at those different levels.

I'm not saying I'm a better player than others at the $2 buyin level, but I probably overthink the game, when others are like "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I call your all in with bottom pair and no draw. Now wait for it..... wait for it.....Thank you rivered set".

"I'm Mike D. - I got the deuces wild"... Beastie Boys 1986. Looks like I'll keep grinding at the $2 tournaments: the "deuces wild".

Don't forget about my charity tournament. Click on it if you think you can play or if you can donate. We still need more prizes.

Stay patient...

3 comments:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

"It took him 15 months to break $1,000 but then less than 2 more months to break $10,000. This certainly has to do with the kind of players that are at those different levels."

I disagree. I think it's harder to break the first $1000 because of the earning power. When you are grinding out at .05/.1NL or whatever (first he had to get cash through freerolls), even if you win like 5 buy-ins, that's $50. Once you have $1,000, you can play 1-2NL, and if you win like 5 buy-ins, well, that's another grand. In other words, once you have the roll, your earning power goes up. But I will never support the theory of donkeys calling off their stacks as a huge dog being the reason that people can't beat those levels.

Literally, one year ago, I was a marginally profitable player at 1-2NL. Now, I think that level is a joke. It's just a matter of how serious you can take the game, how you actually apply what you learn, and think about what went wrong, even in a suckout (like did you give them a chance to suckout?).

Believe me when I say that you want people calling with 5 outers. If you move up, you'll wish there are more of those at your table because you'll find that there are a lot less of those at your table. And though that might mean that you get less bad beats, that doesn't mean you are less prone to taking a beating.

emptyman said...

What Recess said.

If you're really into doing the Chris Ferguson challenge, it really is about rising through the ranks, and pushing yourself to continue improving.

If it's more about the focus, initiative, and reaching an awesome money goal, might I suggest an alternative? Do the $50-$10000 part first. Then, with 10K in your pocket, do the $0 to $50 part if you are still so inclined.

The FT Poker Strategy Guide is gold. Lots of viewpoints to help drive the point home -- there is no system, no formula to play a hand. Yet, we can all agree there is often a right answer.

JD Schellnutt said...

back on the blog horse...and got your comments. Were you able to accomodate Bodonkey tourney. Early scores on the leaderboard could be key before the fields get bigger than 50 once everyone appreciates the potential overlay on top of the already sweet overlay (WSOP package on top of $545 weekly tourney credit payout). Shout out to Smokee for arranging it!!! Good Luck.