Friday, January 11, 2008

Big Brother (not CBS version)

What do you think about all the video cameras and satellite cameras? I kind of understand it when they put a camera at an intersection that takes a still photo if you run a red light. It is designed to reduce accidents and generate revenue for local municipalities. There are some interesting facts and arguments for why that is not working out if you want to click here.





The one that kind of bothers me is the traffic camera that sits atop each light crossbar and runs a steady feed to monitor traffic flow. If I'm sitting first at the light, surely it can see right into my car. Not that I drive to work naked on a regular basis, and I usually keep all my illegal immigrants in the trunk, but it still seems creepy.





And if you've ever seen Google earth, you know that the technology is there such that your "privacy" fence doesn't allow for as much privacy as you thought. Again, I doubt any government agencies are interested in seeing me cut the grass in the nude, but isn't it creepy to see the fringes of what they are capable of seeing. Is "Big Brother" slowly creeping into our society to a point where you will no longer be able to "hang out" without thinking there is a camera monitoring you at all times, "just in case".





It may be that the last private things you have are your thoughts. And now I am screwing that up by posting those on some servers somewhere in which I have no idea how or if it will ever be used against me. If my son runs for President of the United States, will they someday pull this up and criticise him for his Dad playing poker on the Internet (which is still questionably legal/illegal). Hmmmmmm. This could even be used against my grand kids.... What documents do you have of your grandfather's or great grandfather's thoughts? Most of us barely have any pictures of our ancestors. Maybe it is a positive thing since they will better know how I was thinking (about poker? maybe they won't care).





Anyway, on to other things: We started another Biggest Loser contest at work. I won't bore you with too many details, but I won the first one we did in January 2007 (8 contestants I think). Then we did one in the summer of '07 but I basically paid my money and never did a thing to try. I decided after a few days, that I wasn't motivated enough to do it. Well now I'm ready to go again and I have all the weight on me that I had one year ago. I will be using the You on a Diet recipes and doing 30 minutes on an elliptical machine 1 to 2 times a day. I take off on Saturdays and even eat bad Saturday nights to give myself something to look forward to each week.





I'll post some pictures of my progress as I should lose about 30 lbs over the next 10 weeks. It will be hard work and will cut into my poker time. 1 week ago I would get the family settled in and I could drink beer and play poker until 1 or 2am. This week, I get the family settled in and prepare meals for the next day, do 30 minutes of cardio, then drink 1 glass of wine and go to bed by 11pm. BORING!





Here is picture number 1: I am the heavy one all the way to the left. I carry 255 lbs on a 6'3" frame. I don't always look exactly like MiamiDon, I just made myself up that night since it was a special event.





Stay patient...

2 comments:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I agree... I hate that there are cameras every where. I drive naked to work all the time.

Hello Miamidon. :) That pic was hilarious.

Chad C said...

The government thinks they can do anything they want now and just blame terrorists for it. It's quite sad really......