Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Moving forward cautiously Part II

Thanks for the comments yesterday from WillWonka, OhCaptain and Riggs. Riggs was right in saying that I need to nail down the $5 level first and then move upwards. Same thing OhCaptain was getting at. I think another part of my problem is that I am more aggressive playing at the $5 levels (play my game). I play defensively more when I move up to the higher levels, just because it is out of my comfort zone. As Riggs pointed out: you can't play "defensively and with emotion". I've also been known to do the "aw-fawk-it" move and register for a $30 tourney to try to make a quick recoup of my losses at the $11 or $20 levels. That only increases the gravity pull on my bankroll even though I may occasionally cash in one of those.





This graph shows how drastically different my ROI is at the different levels. I think that says it all:








It seems the moral of the story is to play patient. Play my game, stay within my bankroll and get through the variance. There is a reason that AA is not 100% to win preflop against any other hand.





Part of my success in the blogger tournaments was my knowledge of how certain people play. Who was going to be aggressive and who was going to be tight. In the SNG's, there is a constant flow of new people. And, I think getting pokertracker back up and running will help somewhat when I do see the same opponents from time to time.





Any criticisms or suggestions are welcome.





Stay patient...





Oh and don't forget:




I doubt I make it out again tonight as I am feverishly working on getting my house ready to list for sale. Painting over writing on kids doors, patching holes kids put in walls, fixing screens dogs busted out, etc... Maybe I will be back in the blogger tourneys in within a couple of weeks. Good luck to everyone who makes it out there tonight.

2 comments:

snakster said...

your post kind of reminds me of the guy who bets the sunday games and finds himself in a hole. He then goes large in the Monday night game to try to get out, but he is no longer betting with his head, he is betting to try to dig out. I'm not sure what the relevence is.

But yeah, stick with the $5 and $6 games for a while. Nothing wrong with a long slow climb. I think it builds toughness in the end. GL my man. See you at the tables.

Max said...

Thanks J.

I kinda got burned out on poker blogs (and poker for that matter) to keep trying to find poker content to post here or there. I never intended my blog to be a poker blog, but I always seemed to skew everything there toward poker no matter what.

I think these blog projects really suit me, and hope to keep it up all year.