Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pretty women out walking with Gorillas down my street

....because if my eyes don't deceive me there's something going wrong around here:



I got an instant message from a friend on Windows Live Messenger. It read like this: "Hey, is this picture really you? imageXX.JPG-www.photobucket.com" . I of course clicked it (LIKE AN IDIOT) and it ran a worm virus on my PC. What I then found out is "If you run the "imageXX.JPG-www.photobucket.com" file, the MSN Worm will be installed on your computer, and then separate to your MSN contacts and so on..." (from this website)


Luckily, there is no major damage. Unfortunately, the IT department in my company has required everyone to uninstall Windows and MSN messenger "until further notice". That didn't make me too popular -since the message sent by the IT Dept identified ME as the initial one to spread the virus. Which is true, but.... well, you know the shit I'm getting.


So my online bankroll is up to around $38. Quite a jump from being at $2 recently. I did violate one of my rules and play a $5 tournament, but it paid off as I expected it would. See below:


I have really struggled on the 90 player knockout SNG's. I can get through about half the field easily, most times even down to 3 tables, but then miss the money every time (I think I finished in the money once out of about 20 times played). I must be playing too loose in the middle.
You can also see that I have only played 4 tournaments in the last 7 days. Work and life are keeping me pretty busy.
I wanted to bring up one more time the comment I made about the horrible plays at the micro limits. Alan (and emptyman agreed) that they "will never support the theory of donkeys calling off their stacks as a huge dog being the reason that people can't beat those levels." I do agree with that. I guess I figured there would be more variance due to wider ranges of cards played against you. If you are disciplined and focused , then you should be able to win through those levels. I probably end up tilting so much, that I don't realize it when I had a bad beat push me way off my game.
Thanks for the comments.
15 days left until our BIG CHARITY TOURNAMENT. . .
Stay patient...

4 comments:

emptyman said...

You make a decent point about variance, and I agree that it should be larger over the short term, just because

more people
playing (+)
more bad hands
==============
winning less pots, but bigger pots

That being said, profit should be trending upward. Just because AA is 80% heads up and 33% against a full table doesn't mean it's a worse hand in the latter case.

And you know this too. It's the reason you played a $5 tourney that was technically out of your bankroll range, yet expected to cash or win it.

The reason people have SO MUCH TROUBLE beating a table full of fish is because of schooling. Once 2 people cold-call a raise, the 3rd person is now actually getting odds to call with J9s. Then on the flop, it's profitable (correct pot odds) to call with bottom pair.

The key to beating schools of fish is to play super-tight. Annoying, not-fun, grind-it-out tight. After we fold for an hour, they WILL call to the river when we finally flop a set.

Nobody likes playing boring, "work" poker, so they mix it up and have more fun with it (i.e. play bad). But playing like a donkey and then claiming that the donkey table is unbeatable...

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Also, play more hands where if you hit it big, you get paid off but if you don't, you can easily fold. Like suited connectors and one gappers. Play those in position. But make sure that if you only get a piece of it, just let it go, even if you think it's the best hand at that point. In other words, stop putting yourself in marginal situation against donkeys. Learn to overbet for value. If there are two flush cards and you are certain that the fish is chasing, don't be in such a hurry to get it all in with two cards to come. Evaluate after the turn. There's so much that you can do even in a table full of calling station donkeys. In other words, go check out Mike Maloney's latest post. I read it but haven't commented. But one of his hand was played very very poorly and I will go point that out now in his comment. When you have a big hand against donkeys, value bet should be out the window. Overbet for value. If that means you bet out with a flopped set and everyone folds, so be it. There will be a time someone will double you up in the same scenario.

KajaPoker said...

has required everyone to uninstall Windows and MSN messenger....

So everyone got the latest OS/2 installed or did you guys go with Linux for the time being?

I wish we got to uninstall Windows.

Muahahahaha........

jamyhawk said...

FUNNY KAJA!

uninstall windows-messenger and msn messenger....