Monday, January 28, 2008

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

You may remember my post from last week where the temperature was 5 degrees in the morning. The official recorded low for last Friday (3 days ago) was 3 degrees. Today the high will be around 61 degrees. Gotta love weather in the Midwest. If you don't like it, wait a day: it'll change.


I am officially unable to beat the $2 SNG's on FTP. See my ROI below. At $2, I'm bad, at $2.50, I'm worse. I've struggled at $6 and $11, but for some reason, I do well at the $5 level. I've tried several different approaches at the $2 level, but can't seem to find a way to consistently win there. Oooops. I mean I can't seem to find a way to win at all there!
Looks like I will need to reload into FTP again. Last year finished with a profit, but down so far this year. I really need to study more. Maybe some videos recommended by WillWonka would help. I also need to get the 2nd Harrington Tournament book. I found that in 2007, while I was reading Harrington 1, I was more profitable than when I was playing without studying at the same time.
Also, I forgot how much more I love playing live, than on the Internet. I played a home game Saturday night, and had a blast. It was a $50 buy in with 32 players. I went out 9th on a busted bluff. I really loosen up, the more I drink, and several Heinekens insured I wouldn't finish the tournament without going all in on a stone cold bluff. I bluffed 108 off into a 965 board. The caller tanked, but eventually called 90% of his stack on A5. His hand held up and I went home, chewing myself out for putting in all my chips on a bluff. I don't recall which book I read that said "all in at the final table near the bubble with 108offsuit is a great play".... Oh wait, maybe I didn't read that.
Anyway, I am looking forward to playing more live this year. My play up until we reached the final table was very good (IMO), as I didn't bust on marginal hands and tried to maximize on my made hands. And I rarely bluffed. Go figure. At least I have that move burned into all the players at the final table. I'm sure I can use it to pay me off later this year in these once a month tournaments.
I think we picked up about 10 more players for my charity tournament. Everyone was very excited to hear that we had some FTP funds as one of the prizes. Everyone I talked to there has a FTP account. Thanks again to RecessRampage for donating those funds.
So let's see if we can take this year to turn things around. As Beck said: "I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?" "I'm a driver, I'm a winner; things are gonna change I can feel it".
As a reminder to myself more than anyone: Stay patient...

3 comments:

WillWonka said...

I wish I could have made that tourney. Sounds like fun. Maybe next time.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

The 10-8 bluff on 9-6-5 board actually sounds like a good move. Can't believe the guy called with bottom pair top kicker... right at the final table bubble!

Btw, I'm glad that some people are excited about FTP funds. Thanks for the opportunity!

jamyhawk said...

Actually Alan, I was in the BB and the villian limped UTG. From knowing him, I put him on Ax, or any two paints (KQ, K10, QJ, etc...). I purposely checked the BB instead of trying to steal his limp, because I figured a raggy flop and I could push hard representing the "BB special". His body language told me he did not hit the flop.

I figured he is only calling with A9 (it was 90% of his stack to call), and I was willing to take that chance, since I read him as missing the flop.

Of course, risking 100% of your stack on a draw only is still dumb.