Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Catching up from the weekend

Despite having a D- rated draft and a terrible trade while attempting to correct my mistakes, I managed to win a second straight week. 2-0. I don't know how long my receivers will overproduce and compensate for my week running backs, but I will take it for now.
What a crazy weekend in the NFL. How many of you picked the Browns to hang 51 points on Cincy? Not me. My Broncos sucked out on the river for the second week in a row. ICE ICE BABY. I didn't think Icing the kicker really worked anymore.
And, oh yeah, I played poker this weekend. I played online Friday night. Made a nice run getting up 50BB playing 1/2limit.

Saturday night we had a home poker tourney. 13 players total, so it was a little smaller than usual. We should be back in the 20's consistently starting in January. $20 buy in. I was card dead all night. Never saw a pocket pair higher than 77. I managed to buy a few pots and steal a few blinds, but would give it back getting caught later. I didn't use my pen and paper (see this post) so I don't have any HH to give you, but it wouldn't be interesting anyway. I finished 7th. My brother, who ALWAYS finishes in the money with his tight, tight, tight play, bubbled for the first time in a long time. Congratulations to Bill E. for taking it down.
We played a second tournament with 9 players. Same story for me. No cards, tried to push people out of pots, got caught stealing a few times and went out 5th.
Then we played $1/$2 NL. This is when everything changed for me. I started off aggressive taking a few losing (bluff) hands all the way to showdown. This set me up as a maniac. After that I could call down to the river and finish off with a min-raise and win nice sized pots with Top pair only (they were assuming I was drawing and then bluffing?). I also took several pots with c-bets after raggy flops since they assumed I was playing ATC even after pre-flop raises. A couple of nicely played monsters helped. We finished at 5:30am, and I was up 70BB. Not a bad night, I paid for 5 entries to the tournament (Hawkette, one of my son's, and mine), paid $25 entry due for my fantasy football league, paid for $40 in white castles for everyone, and then had exactly the same amount of money left when I went up to bed. That's pretty good entertainment.
Stay patient...

No comments: