Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Why do you play?

Waffles brought up an interesting point in this post. I am trying to build my bankroll but I really enjoy winning. So even though, I may lose money overall in an evening, I will take great delight in felting one particular person, or finishing 1st in a tournament (I hate finishing 2nd -sometimes I feel like I would rather go out first than finish 2nd). And I make way more money at my day job than I would ever risk making, playing online poker. So whatever I make at poker is just so I can move up a level, so I can lose faster when I take a bad beat (or donk it up), so I go back down a level and try to make more money so I can move up a level so I can lose faster so.......
Anyway, It's not to supplement my income. But will I hit a level where I could make enough to play to make money? Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong.

Why do you play?

2 comments:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I've addressed this in a post a while back. I'm too lazy to go through my archives. But I play because I want to get better at it and quite frankly, I want to eventually play professionally. If I don't get to that point, well then I guess I make money so that's another plus. I enjoy the game but I definitely have goals that I would like to achieve in playing poker. And I guess I consider that each night I play is my quest towards that goal.

lj said...

nice post -- i probably haven't thought enough about this. i started playing b/c poker took a lot of competitive energy that i used to put into sports and channeled it in a new direction.

online i played purely for gaming entertainment and to learn for my first few years. i only started to try and make money online after my first blogger gathering last june (perhaps i was inspired?).

if i could get a decent bankroll behind me, stop making donkey plays and feel confident in my game, i would love to one day try playing full time.

these days i'm also playing for first in a tournament -- any tournament. i just want to win one.