Monday, September 10, 2007

To call or not to call Part III

Week 2 of the "Friday Night Lights" in our house was actually played on Saturday. Cal's team started on defense. First drive, they blocked a punt and ran it in for a TD. From there, they pretty much dominated the rest of the game. The other team was undersized and under skilled all around. Cal was limited in playing time again, until the 4th quarter, when they were up 28-0. The coach put him in for one series and let him get 4 carries. He went for 1, 12, 5 and 24 yard runs with the last one being a TD. That's a 10 1/2 yard average and a TD. I didn't notice if the other team had put in their 2nd string defense yet or not -it was 5 minutes into the 4th quarter that he scored (stats here). They did still have their first string offense in but pulled them after this score.

It left me confused again. He didn't start at tailback or on defense and had limited touches. After talking with him, he was frustrated, but happy nonetheless, since they won the game so handily. Everyone on the bus ride home was in a good mood. You can imagine.

I wimped out and decided to talk to the coach. Actually, I did have to talk to him about something else, so thought I would ask while I had him on the phone. He actually surprised me with what he said. I simply asked if Cal's attitude was good and I said he has never played on a team where he wasn't starting offense/defense and special teams and I just wanted to make sure he wasn't in any trouble or anything. The coach said he knows "Cal has big play ability and he has a gear out on the field that others don't have. But there are other kids that have picked up the schemes faster, and they have a better understanding of their schemes. Even though he has the ability to run off 30 yards on any given play, he's not going to do that every play and we need kids who understand the schemes we are trying to run." He went on to say his work ethic is great and his attitude is great and they are trying to work him in. He said it is the same on defense. As a free safety, he has to be the QB of the defense and the person ahead of him knows all the reads and checks better.

We ended on a real good note, even though I could read he was nervous/defensive, with a parent asking about playing time. I tried to be real upbeat by telling him I really understand he has a lot of talented kids and I just wanted to make sure Cal is still working hard, and that he did a great job Saturday (even though I don't agree with the offensive style he is running). I tried very hard to make it non-confrontational but more like a parent asking for information to help improve his child. I think it worked.

I'm really glad I talked to him. I was glad that he acknowledged Cal's skills (I was afraid that he didn't realize his talents). Cal had said the other running backs were sucking up. Well now that made perfect sense. They were probably putting in extra time talking to the coach about the plays and about exactly what they were supposed to be doing. Cal probably felt he didn't need to do that since he is already so talented. What the coach was describing is exactly my son. He uses his talents and skills well, but he doesn't prepare or study enough (or not at all sometimes). He has had so much talent in football that he didn't need to hit the right hole every time because he can make things happen. His speed is natural and his understanding of the game (up to this age) has come easily. As he gets older though, the talent around him will continue to rise to the point that he cannot rely on his game play alone. He will have to really study the game and know the schemes/plays inside and out. And this conversation has helped me, in that now I can try to guide Cal in the right direction to continue improving, rather than staying at the plateau he has obviously hit.

I may still be the biased dad. I would try to get the most touches to the kid that has that big play ability and that "other" gear that most kids don't have. But I see the coaches point. Look out! Cal's goal is to score 5 TD's in one game (playing at the Varsity level), and if he really starts preparing, he can hit it.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I've been following this story - good to see it's working out well!

Matt

jusdealem said...

That's great! Now you know what to work on with Cal. Good luck.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I'm glad you were able to talk to the coach. Despite what I said, I said it because I took the "calling" as being confrontational. Coaches generally have it tough because one bad apple exposed by the media makes everyone look like they play favorites, etc. Now you know what to work with so that's always helpful. And as great as big play ability is, getting consistency and understanding schemes are so important. I know that even in basketball, there were so many more talented kids than me and yet I was captain and starter because a) I was moderately talented and b) I knew plays and moved away from the ball. In other words, if Cal could combine his talent with all the other things that may seem irrelevant, he should enjoy great success. Good luck and keep us posted!