Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Friday Night Lights (formerly To Call or Not To Call)

Cal's team won their 3rd game in a row. They are now 3-1. Cal had 6 carries for 24 yards (runs of 20, 8, 4, -4, -4, and 0 -not in that particular order). In the official stats, they listed him as having 4 carries for 6 yards. I don't know how they figure his stats but it is way different than what I am coming up with. I did think that they may be confused at times, since the starting running back is 13 and Cal is 31, and they are built the same (see pic below) and they rotate in and out so frequently. So if you are not paying close attention, like I obviously do, you could give the carries to the wrong person (and I would assume you always give them to Troy, unless it is obvious that someone different is in there).





Cal got to play more on defense, since their opponent was a 75%+ passing team. They wanted his speed in there for pass coverages. He was in for 50% of the defensive plays and 20% of the offensive plays. They still had the 4 deep kickoff returners (imagine 4 high school kids trying to decide who will catch the kickoff -clusterfuck), and they added Cal deep on punts alongside Troy, however, he never got the opportunity to even catch a punt.

All that being said, I am done whining about his playing time. Troy played a great game, Cal has been getting opportunities each game to show his talents, and they won. So there is really nothing more I can do, other than to continue encouraging Cal. It sure is a change from the past, but I know each year he moves up, so does the level of competition. Hopefully, he can find a way to get back to being one of the "stars" of the team by working hard.

So next, I'll be updating how they are doing, sans the bitching. Next game is this Saturday and then the week after that, they play the Alma Mata of none other than the Vegas Pro himself: MiamiDon. I wonder what the Vegas odds will be on that game? I'm sure I'll be able to get some action on it.

No comments: