Tuesday, September 4, 2007

To call or not to call

Please tell me what would you do?

My son's first football game was Friday night. He played all of about 10 plays, not even going in on offense until the second quarter. No big deal for most people and as a parent I know I would be biased in this situation. However, as a sophomore, he was starting tailback on offense, starting cornerback on defense, starting punt, punt returns, kickoff and kickoff returns. He did break his leg first game of the season LAST YEAR, but has healed 100% as that was 1 year ago. The athletic director, other parents, other students all have commented on how excited they are that Cal is back and how big that is for their football program. Now as a Junior he is no longer a starter? And another brilliant move: the coach was rotating in 2 quarterbacks and 3 running backs, throughout the game.

In the 10 plays he played (stats are here under Holt -hawkins) he had a 39 yard screen play, a 25 yard screen play (called back because of penalty), a TD saving tackle, and 3 of 5 rushing plays for positive yardage (2 plays he was tackled when handed the ball).

OK, so I am boring you to death about my son. But this IS my BLOG! And I coached football for 5 years at the 8-13 year old levels. I know you play your best kids as early and as often as you can. And Cal is, without a doubt, a football stud. If for no other reason, he has the speed and the years of experience. I asked my son why he didn't play and he said because the other two running backs suck up to the coach all of the time.

Now for my question:
Do you

A: Call the coach and ask politely if there is a problem you should be made aware of? Has my son had a bad attitude or gotten into trouble with the coaching staff? Keep it non confrontational but find out why he played him so little.

B: Instruct your son to go to the coach and ask why he is not playing? What can he do to get more playing time?

C: Do nothing. Don't risk you or your son looking like whiners. Wait until after the second game, then pull your son out of the football program and move to a new school that is desperate for a good running game.

OK, maybe not everything in C is appropriate, but I am curious as to weather you would call the coach or not?

4 comments:

jusdealem said...

That's a tough one and I'm a mom, so what do I know anyway, but here's what my ex does with our boys. They don't play football, but do play basketball, baseball and golf. He maintains a friendly relationship with the coaching staff and started it from the get-go. He goes to practice and he's a talker, he's always talking sports and whatever with the coaches. I think it really helps when the coaches know the parents and have a good relationship.
If your son's that good, he shouldn't be snubbing him. I say try starting a friendly conversation with the guy at the next practice and see what he has to say.

yabi said...

Call up the coach, tell him that you'd like to have a friendly little poker game. You win, he will make your son the star player... you loose, then you willn't ever complain again.

I think you'd have the advantage =)

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I'm not a dad so take this for what it's worth.

Don't call the coach. Don't tell your son anything. Let Cal handle the situation himself. He's gotta learn to be independent and you butting in to his life like that is not gonna help the cause.

I think sometimes the parents get a little too involved in certain situations. I guess what I am saying is that be a friend for Cal. Listen to his thoughts. If he wants to whine, listen. If he's ok, then understand him. But either way, I think it's important to let Cal make his decisions.

If Cal is ok with the other two RBs sucking up to the coach and hence, get more playing time, then that's how Cal is dealing with it. I know there are thoughts about the future, college ball, etc. But I honestly don't think you calling the coach or telling Cal to do something will have any positive effect. If anything, it will only make matters worse.

I don't mean to be preachy but I was an athlete in high school and at the collegiate level. There were things that I thought were unfair, stupid, etc. But I do know that because I was so independent in dealing with them, it's made me a better/stronger person for it. If Cal is really good enough, eventually, his performance will speak for itself. No words are needed.

Sorry. Again, I didn't mean to be preachy but you did blog about it in public so I guess it's fair. But it seems like Cal is dealing with the situation better than you are and in the end, it's his choice. He's a junior in high school right? Sooner or later, he'll have to learn to stand up for himself and it seems that time is either now or near. Again, if he's as good as you say he is, he'll be fine. A coach can't snub a guy but for so long.

WillWonka said...

Now this comes from a guy that his dad was very involved in his sports and always had a relationship with the coaches.

Now, having said that, I would encourage Cal to talk to the coach and see what's up? I did that a number of times and it always seemed to help (even if I didn't like the answer sometimes).

If the answer seems bogus, I would still be hesitant to call him; but wouldn't be hesitant to talk to him if you see him. Cal is in high school now so he does need to start taking care of himself.