Monday, October 22, 2007

Night of the Queens

I played in the Blogger Big Game last night. It was the first of 27 tournaments over the next 8 weeks in BBT2. If you haven't heard, you can play in these tournaments and if you win one of them, you get into a FREEROLL for a shot at and $18,000 Aussie Millions prize.



It was all about the Queens for me. The first big hand was when I called a 3x BB bet with AQ sooooooted. Flop comes AQx. I have top two pair when someone bets into me. I re-raise, they re-re-raise all in and I insta-call. My opponent flips over QQ for a set and it looks like I am going home early..... until the A on the river and I suck out for a huge pot. This pot made me the chip leader at the first break and I would remain that way for almost an hour.



Then I was dealt QQ at least 5 times. No big pots came from them but I usually took the blinds and antes, so the beetches were building my chipstack. I should have known they were just lurking nearby so they could stab me in the back later.



We were down to 10 players and I think I was in 5th and the player to my right (lifesagrind) was in 4th. He had been fairly aggressive and was buying blinds on a regular basis. I look down to JJ when he puts in a 3x BB bet. I re-raise to hopefully take down the pot pre-flop, and he goes all in. . . Now let's stop right here. This is where I play the worst. I have said it before and I will say it again: I can play up until about 50% of the field is gone, and I can play after we are in the money. But, I suck in between there. I feel like I bubble or get close to the bubble and then go out a lot. Or I go out somewhere in the middle to late rounds. This hand is a prime example of why. I cannot lay down JJ here. I instacall, and here are my beetches smiling at me. QQ holds up and IGHN. Terrible play by me. I mean really, what could he have shoved with that I was dominating? 1010? 99? AK? If he has AK, I am only a 57% favorite. Not a huge advantage to put my tournament on the line with 1 place left to the final table and 3 left to the money. You tell me if you think it would be too passive to lay down those Jacks. I think I should have evaluated longer and I could have thrown the fishhooks away. Oh well.



I'm sorry to the players involved in those hands that I didn't link to. If you post a comment here, I will link you. I was so upset at going out 10th, that I immediately deleted all the screen shots and hand histories that I had been saving. What can I say? Frustration.


Congratulations to jeciimd for taking down 1st place and earning the first seat into the Tournament of Champions.

Don't forget to play tonight at 9pm on FTP:


3 comments:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Tough situation there. You said the player had been fairly aggressive (if you tell me who, it might give me a better idea). In that sense, I'm not sure you can lay down the JJ there. I mean it's a 5 handed table right? JJ on a 5 handed table is a monster. That coupled with the fact that your villain was fairly aggressive and he could come over the top with a wider range, I think. But again, it depends on who that person was. There's donk aggressive and then there's the aggressive but when the big pot is there, he/she has a hand aggressive. So again, it really depends on who it was but I don't think you can beat yourself up too much over not laying down JJ in that situation.

jusdealem said...

I was watching the tourney off and on and happened to see that hand. I wouldn't beat myself up too bad if I were you. He did seem to be playing a bit overly aggressive and I'm sure you thought you had the best hand. I think only the top pros could lay that down there and let's face it, we're nowhere near top pro status! :)

Beware the final table bubble set up...it's real. I'm a believer in that. ;)

Julius_Goat said...

I was watching that hand. Since I was sitting next to you, you might say I had a pretty good view. Ilay the Jacks down there, especially given how much money you were going to have to call and how many chips (quite a lot) you'd have left if you folded.

Then again, Life's a Grind and I had been battling and you were in the middle, so that comes into play. I think you'd been pushed around too much and wanted to take a stand.

That said, I'm folding Jacks there unless my read is VERY strong.