Friday, August 10, 2007

Football Season is Upon Us!

Are you ready for some football? I can't wait. Football season is always such a busy time in my house. I am a die hard Broncos Fan and make sure to never miss a game. My wife is a Cowboys fan. Luckily we aren't in the same division, or we might not have ever gotten married (like if she had been a Chiefs fan). I used to trek off to some bar every Sunday, trying to beat the raiders fans or Packers fans there to request the Broncos be shown, but "thank you, DirecTV". Now I can work around the house up until game time and not miss a down ("thank you, TIVO").

My son's games have always kept us busy as well. My oldest son, Brian, broke his leg his Freshman year and stopped playing after that (he gets to keep the plate and 7 screws in his leg for the memory). He is a senior in college now, so that was a long time ago.

My 16 year old, Cal, has been playing for 7 years now. I was fortunate enough to be one of his coaches for 4 years (prior to high school). I can't express enough how great of an experience it is to coach kids sports. Get involved any chance you get! Anyway, Cal was blessed with speed (not from my genes), so has been a tailback all this time. I played countless hours of MaddenNFL with him (as did his older brother too) to teach him formations, play-making, and proper reactions on the field (and because it was fun!). Now he has skills and a solid understanding of the game that is way ahead of most kids his age. For example, on his 7th grade team, he scored 32 touchdowns in 10 games. He is really something to see.

He had a great Freshman year stats wise, and was moved up to play in the final JV game that year. He maybe played 4 plays in the first 3 quarters of the game. With 2 minutes to go in the game and his team losing by 4 points, they gave him the ball again and this time he made a 76 yard run for the winning score. How fun and what a great memory for him! He was really fired up to play his Sophomore year.

As a Sophomore, he earned the starting tailback position, but in the first game of the season, he took a hit to the leg that snapped his fibula right in half. End of season. I felt terrible for him. He worked so hard to get there, and before he got the chance to enjoy it, he was done. But he took it with a great attitude and worked hard to rehab in time for Track Season. Unfortunately, in the middle of Track season he had to have Hernia surgery.

Now we are getting ready for his Junior year. It will be "Friday Night Lights" (and some Saturdays) from now until early November. He is set to start at tailback again. In a county wide scrimmage 2 weeks ago, he took a helmet to the hip, so he is rehabbing a hip-pointer now, but hopes to be at 100% by the 31st of August -opening game of the season.

So we have football, Fridays and Sundays for awhile. It will be a couple of years before my next son is ready to start PeeWee Football. We have 2 boys and a girl all under the age of 6, so in about 7 years we will be slammed with kids sports. But it is so worth it, as long as they are having fun.

I just have to make sure to get in some poker during the weeks ; )
See you at the HOY and MOOKIE.

3 comments:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I hope Cal bounces back from the injury. I ran track in college and right before my junior year, I tore my ACL playing basketball. It was a long, arduous recovery but I will never take that experience back. Because I never worked harder than I did to come back because of the burning desire and I knew that my senior year, I was so much better for that. I ran faster than I ever have and my work ethic on the track was unmatched and I think my teammates would all agree on that. (I did get the most dedicated award and coach did tell me that I was one of the best captains he's ever had on a team). My athletic trainer, several years after I graduated was purchasing some gear and was talking to the store clerk about how one year, he coached one guy who had the hardest work ethic and that if everyone he coached worked as hard as he did, he would have had olympic runners. The store clerk asked who he was since he went to the same school as I did, the athletic trainer told him. The store clerk? He was my friend. I was very flattered to hear that conversation later.

Long story short, I hope Cal keeps looking up and not let the slow progress (if it is) discourage him. He'll be better for it!

WillWonka said...

I agree, I hope he is able to come back and play. Definitely some great times playing football back in the day. The only thing better is like what you said.. watching your kids play and excel at sports.

Unfortunately, I have two girls so no football for us; but my 3 year old did watch part of the Cowboys game with me and seemed interested so I have that going for me.

I glad to see that you wife is a right thinking kind of person.

jamyhawk said...

Thanks for the kind words Recess and Will. I will definitely share them with Cal.

Though I have to disagree somewhat with Will about my wife and her right thinking (at least about football). LOL.