Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Live tournament time again

Tonight was the once a month live tournament that I play in. I really don't want to bore you with details: I finished 5th, and stayed in first place overall after the first 3 tournaments.

But I did want to discuss a couple of hands. I hit a set of 4's twice. The first time there was a 349 rainbow on the board. I checked and (super loose) player bet into me. I think it was about 1/2 the pot. I had him covered but not by much. Now here was my tough decision. I put him on two overcards. Do you call and hope he hits a top pair, or re-raise in case he has the straight draw and take him out of the hand right there or race him for your tournament life if he calls? That's question #1.

Question #2: Player under the gun (super-aggro) bets 2x BB and I was BB with 44. I called. Flop is KQ4 rainbow. I check, he checks. turn is an 8. Do you bet here or try to induce a bluff from the super-aggo that probably bets on 90% of the pots he is involved in? And if you bet, how much (I have him covered by a margin of about 2-1)?

Question #3: This is an easy one. 5 handed and you have 12K in chips. UTG player has 13K in chips and bets 4K into 1k/2k blinds. You are next to act with JJ. You are 4th in chips with 5th at about 5K in chips. What do you do? Raise all in? Call? Fold?

You can answer what you would do now and then comment on what you think about what I did.... Scroll down for results of the hands











Question 1 result: I called and then checked the turn 6. He checked behind. The river was a 5 completing the straight draw and I bet all in (dumb on my part). Anything I beat won't call, anything I will instacalls. But he folded and I won. It did disguise the fact that I slow played a set from the flop.

Qeustion 2 result: I checked the turn and so did the super aggro. River was a 3 and I bet 4K. He tanked hard and couldn't figure out how that card helped me so he called with Ace high.

Question 3 result: I said easy answer because looking back, I could have called the UTG raise putting him on several Ace or King combinations and try to see the pot. My read on him was any Ace. I actually raised all in, MP called with QQ and UTG called with AK. Flop produced an Ace and I went out 5th.

I'm still in first place overall after 3 tournaments, with the top person after 13 tournaments getting a Main Event buy in next year and travel expenses. Hope the tables are treating you good!

Stay patient....

2 comments:

lj said...

ok, i'm doing this w/o looking at hand results.

hand 1 - depends on how much is in pot, how much relative to pot he has behind, and what the pf action was. if you're really putting him on two overs, why not call and peel another card off. question is whether you think he's betting again, and if he's super loose, is there a chance he pays you off w/ A9 or 55 if you just shove right now?

hand 2 - after he checks the flop i probably bet here. there is a straight draw on board, and you already gave him one chance to bet. at some point i think you need to start building a pot so you can try to get all his chips by the river. can't possibly guess how much w/o knowing blinds, stack sizes, pot, etc.

if you think he'll bluff at the pot on the turn after you check twice, then nothing wrong w/ check raising, but you just have to decide how strong your read is, versus whether he'll call you down w/ say a pair of Qs.

hand 3 - easy shove, if he has you beat, oh well.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Hand 1 - I guess I would just call and try to peel one off. On the turn though, I think I want to bet out regardless of the card. It's rare that a guy would double barrell you (unless you know that he would) if you check call here so putting out a weakish bet on the turn to see if he would a) call with two overs or b) shove on you thinking you're trying to steal the pot might be one thought. Or you could just checkraise him here.

Hand 2 - I would bet on the turn for about half the pot in order a) try to build the pot and b) try to get him to call.

Hand 3- shove.