Thursday, March 20, 2008

Need help with this hand please

Here's the situation. I'm playing at this cash table ($25maxNLHE 6max) for a little while now and I have watched daytimerobbery reload twice already. He's playing extremely loose and reloads for $10 each time on a $25 max table. He's trying to hit a nuts hand and stack someone and he's playing a lot of pots. I don't have pokertracker or anything else running, so I don't know his VP$P or any other stats but I have a feeling for what he is doing.

In the following hand (scroll down for cards), I raise UTG with suited 1 gappers in hopes of grabbing the blinds or hitting a nice draw on the flop. daytimerobbery reraises me and everyone else folds. Now this is an odd raise amount to me. And I'm only calling .60 into a 2.65 pot. Question 1: Do you throw this away now with two low cards knowing he is probably on two overcards? My thought was that if I can connect in any way to the flop, I will stack him, and I'm getting 4-1 to call here.

The flop comes two cards to my flush and 1 pair. I immediately decide to check raise (I probably should have raised more), and he insta-shoves for 4.55 more. I'm only getting 2-1 to call here, but my read is that he is on AK or AQ with one club. Question 2: After the check raise, do you throw away the hand on his all in? I figure he calls my check raise if he has the hit the set. The reraise seems like an attempt to buy. I figure if he has AK and 1 club, I am an 80% favorite.

I call and find out I am actually only a 51% favorite. I dodge the 13 outs he has and win the pot, but it felt really ugly. Question 3: How bad was this play? I played a hand out of position, very loose, but made a read after the flop. I appreciate your honest critique.

5 comments:

lucko said...

Question 0: Fold preflop. At a loose tables with a maniac, don't play junk out of position.

Question 1: Got to call now.

Question 2: Got to CRAI (check-raise all-in) on that board. You flopped a monster. There is no folding. You are a favorite against Aces. Folding is unthinkable on this flop.

Question 3: Loose opener out of position at a loose table isn't really a good idea. Minraising postflop on that board is just silly. Consider all the factors when you make your decisions.

Jestocost said...

What lucko said.

The maniac already has shown that he's looking to stack someone and will play a lot of hands. That means there's a decent chance that you'll have to commit the portion of your stack equivalent to what he has in front of him to win the pot. A suited one gapper out of position isn't a hand that I like so much in that situation.

Once you're in you're in given the size of his raise and the flop. I would induce the bet and make him have to choose to play for his entire stack.

Fuel55 said...

hate the minraise - just hate it. JAM-o-RAMA

WillWonka said...

Yep, I agree with the above comments... especially about the min raise...

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

The only downside of the pokerhand replays... I can't get to it from work so I have no idea what the bet amounts, etc are. So, based on above, it looks like you checkraised the minimum. That is just bad. But to answer your questions. I'd fold suited one gapper preflop from UTG with a known aggressive opponent. After he reraises, no brainer call. You hit a monster flop (pair and flush draw) so at this point, you're going all the way.

What did you have, what was the flop/turn/river? I'm guessing the guy had two overs and the flush draw (guessing based on 13 outs). Just curious.