Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Keep movin', movin', movin', though they're disapprovin', keep them doggies movin'

I moved this past weekend. I traded up/down. What is that you say? I moved from a 40 year old home that needed lots and lots of work into a house I had built with 600 more square feet and brand new everything (trading up). I also moved from a more expensive home into a cheaper one and dropped my mortgage payments by 34% (trading down).

Makes sense, right? No? Actually, the big difference was that I moved from lakefront property to suburbia. That's right! I was paying a 34% premium to live on the water. Actually more than that, when you consider the house I just bought is so much nicer. When I bought my lakefront property 3 years ago, I had my 4th son on the way. Over the last three years I have had to make sure all the doors are locked up tight so he doesn't run down and jump in the lake.

Don't get me wrong, he knows how to swim. But not well enough that I could comfortably leave him more than 20 feet away from me at any time in our back yard. And now that he has a 1 1/2 year old sister, it is just too hard to keep them both under my watch around the water.

Yes, I did put a life jacket on them and Yes, we did take our boat out on occasion and the kids swam and loved it. But not often enough to justify the 34%+ premium we were paying to be there. In the new house we can throw up a fence and sit in the back yard with our kids while comfortably watching them run and play (and of course playing with them from time to time -if I am not on my laptop playing poker).

What does all this have to do with the price of poker in China??? Nothing, really. Just that I am swamped right now putting in a mailbox, new blinds for the house, screen doors, mounting TV's, etc..... I miss playing poker, and I'm sure all the sharks miss this donkey playing too...

I plan to get into BBT3 by next week. Congrats to Mookie for #6 and surpassing me in the lowly 5 hole. I am afraid you will carry the #6 torch alone. I AM DONE! And late congrats to Emptyman for taking down a Mookie title. Thanks for the props in your profile, Empty. Hopefully I can get back to some form of poker content soon. I have live tournaments coming up March 22nd and April 12th.

Hope everyone is KILLIN' IT at the tables.
Stay patient...

1 comment:

jusdealem said...

Congrats on the new house! :)