Monday, July 30, 2007

Bankroll Management

I need to really figure out Bankroll Management. I can go on a good run and increase my bankroll, but then I start playing games out of my league.

I've read 500 BB is good to figure what games you should be playing in (ring games). For example, if your bankroll is $500, then .50/$1 tables should be as high as you go.

For tournament play: 100xbuyin. For example, if your bankroll is $500 then you shouldn't play over $5 buy ins.

I, of course, will play 1 or 2 levels higher than I should in cash, and sometimes 10 times higher, or more, than I should in tournaments. I think this is probably keeping me from increasing my bankroll faster. I know I will win more money, but will also lose more at the higher levels. So I think if I can really get disciplined about BM, then I can continue moving upwards, even if it comes slowly.

Any ideas on your Bankroll Management?
Thanks and stay patient...

2 comments:

Brez said...

I guess it also depends on your goals, and whether or not you play a natural style of poker that has a tendency to include high-variances.

I think it's also a good idea to try to not get ahead of yourself, even though the lure of more money is attractive. 500xBB seems pretty reasonable, but you also need to think in terms of buyin percentage, and how much money you are willing to lose in a session(s).

Remember to love the game first, and then the game will love you.

SirFWALGMan said...

hahaahaha! Please do not ask me. For limit holdem the rule of thumb is 300 big bets.. I would assume for something like razz/stud/horse it would be higher since there are more streets? I think NLHE is supposed to be a lot higher too.. .25/NL is supposed to be played with at least a 500 bankroll.. of course this is all just guidelines to not go broke..