Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Just my thoughts

I posted this on Shabazz's blog but wanted to share it with everyone:

I miss playing the blogger tournaments because I felt the level of play there was higher than the buy ins. It gets frustrating playing an $8 tourney and somebody beats your AK with 59offsuit (I didn't say 72 offsuit because you know that cracks aces all the time in blogger tourneys). But I don't have the bankroll for a lot of $200+ buy ins so I just ride the low limits.

But seriously, overall, I felt I was learning while playing in the blogger tourneys because the play was much better than the general play in $10-$26 buy ins on fulltilt poker. Some days, I feel like I regress playing in the low limits on fulltilt.

Some might think we are all just a bunch of donkeys, and we probably are. GL to everyone in 2010!

3 comments:

Mike Heffner said...

I'm not so sure the level of play is that much different - I mean, yeah, as much as people bitch about tourneys getting harder in the last two years - pfft, there's plenty of muppets still tossing money around.

What makes the blogger tourneys that much more interesting? Smaller fields where you actually have reads and histories with people, so you don't just play on autopilot like you have to in large-field MTTs against random, unknown players. You actually get to exercise some multiple-level chops and lines against the better players.

The same thing happens in a free bar poker league I've played in off and on over the last couple of years. The more experience I had with the same group of 40-50 people, the better my reads, and the deeper I ran.

jamyhawk said...

Heffmike, you are so right about the familiarity. That is the main reason I started playing the blogger tournaments: to play with the same people on a regular basis.

You not only get reads, but you have running jokes and stories that make it more fun.

Maybe I felt like I learned more in them because I could read about and see discussions on many of the plays the next day on so many different blogs.

Jeremy said...

I agree with you that the level of play in the BBT tournies was pretty good. There were some bad players but overall the play was pretty solid. I had a blast playing the past two BBTs and wish there would be another one.

I definitely understand your frustration with the donkeys in tournaments. Sometimes I want to rip them in chat and say how bad their play was. But, we want them there. Yes, they will suck out sometimes and even go deep in tournies, but they are the ones that also put all their chips in in bad spots.

Good luck to you too.