Monday, September 14, 2009

Best WEEK EVER?

Thursday, my company promoted me to Vice President of Sales. While the short term will not make a huge difference in my role with the company, the long term implications are tremendous. I am to work on developing our sales staff in new markets.



I've seen other companies in our industry grow in the past, and if we even could do a fraction of that growth over the next 5 years, then I am in great shape! In any case, it positions me very favorably in the top company in the Saint Louis market. I am extremely excited.



And then Saturday I had my first game as a head coach in little league football (8 year olds). I have coached several teams over the years, but never have I been the one who was in charge. So Friday night I prepared my initial plays script (I am the offensive coordinator <----that's a good play on words there, eh?), then Saturday I waited for our 3pm game. About an hour before leaving for the fields, I felt like I was going to throw up from the nervous anticipation.



I prepared the kids the best I could and then took the field to see what we could do. We WON 28-0!!!!! WOO HOO. BOOOOOOOM. WEEEEEE. It was AWESOME! I, of course, couldn't let the kids see me jump up and down like we won the super bowl, but that's how I felt inside to win my first game ever as a head coach. Instead, I reminded them that we will play 6 more times this year and that I would measure how proud I am of them by their efforts on the field and not the score. And I told them how proud of them I was that day. That I know they gave me their hardest efforts and it's just icing on the cake to add in the win.



Of course this is not my best week ever, nor do I think I could define 1 week as the best. After all, at age 41, I've seen a hell of a lot of weeks. But it is definitely in my top 10. I hope you are still capable of having and enjoying a top 10 week.



I hope the tables are treating you right. Stay patient....

4 comments:

gadzooks64 said...

Congratulations!

I'm so happy for you!

lightning36 said...

Wow -- big congrats! Life is good when things actually work out ...

smokkee said...

congratulations on your promo, well done sir.

OhCaptain said...

Wow! Big congrats on everything sir!!!