Thursday, September 4, 2008

$6400 win follow up

First of all: Thanks to everyone that gave me congrats on my win Tuesday morning. I really appreciate it. It was fun to win, but also nice to celebrate it with friends (even if they are invisible internet friends).

Tuesday was a whirlwind. I was just finishing the tournament and saving a screenshot to prove I won, when Hawkette came down the stairs from our bedroom. I usually come to bed by 2am if I'm playing poker and working the next day, but it was after 4am now and she noticed I wasn't in bed and was worried. I started excitedly waving her over to me at the computer: "Get over here! Get over here, right now". She perked up as she saw that I won over $6,000 in ONE poker tournament. It was surreal. Hopefully, it will become a more regular occurrence for me, or at least enough of one that it is not so unbelievable when it happens.

I never felt I had a lot of chips, until we reached the final two tables. I played fairly loose to start the tournament and had to rebuy twice in the first hour after chasing draws. But this may have helped me pick up some pots later when I had made hands. I went card dead for what seemed like, forever, but then hit a couple of nice pots. Then with about 7 or 8 spots from the money bubble, I got moved to a table where no one was defending their blinds and then it was ON! I chipped up, started bullying short stacks, even sucked out a couple of times to win nice sized pots (but I had the chips to gamble).

By the time we hit the final table, I had over $600,000 in chips with the next closest to me having $248,000. I pushed on the blinds constantly. I was SUPER AGGRO like I learned from the dynamic duo of poker. In the end, I think the heads up lasted 3 hands because I was so lopsided with the chips and so aggressive.

Nothing too exciting and I don't have exhausting hand histories and quite frankly, I'm sure I didn't play perfectly. But, I think the biggest thing I have been doing lately is folding hands when I think I am beat. You have so much more power raising than you do calling, so if you can't raise with the hand: FOLD IT! And I never call "with pot odds" if it's going to put me all in. I can double up later if I have to, but if that 4th heart falls on the river and I have a set with no heart, I can fold, even if the "pot odds" tell me not to.

OK, that's it for now. Hope the tables treat you right. Try the riverchasers tonight! See the banner on the right.

Stay patient.....

1 comment:

Lucypher said...

Congrats on the win!