Thursday, June 7, 2007

How much do you love it?

TPTK, Top Pair any kicker, 2nd pair. Players going all in with these cards are everywhere, and I LOVE IT! At least that is what I see online. It is so amazing that someone would shove all their chips in with just a pair. I'm not talking about Heads UP play, or someone who you have been playing with for a while and you have a feel for when they are bluffing. I'm talking about playing at a cash table and the flop comes AQJ rainbow and immediately throwing all your chips in with AK or A10. Of course, I have to call that with my K10 suited that I limped in with from the big blind and take down the pot.

Now, I do play micro limits. I am still building my bankroll. I am sure that will change as I move up in limits. But for now, if I can beat a pair, I am winning 80% of the time.

I recently had a friend of mine say to me "Poker is all luck. You can bluff me all you want and read my tells, but give me the top two cards in my hand and I'm going to win". What type of player is this? A calling station. He plays every Friday night for minimum $300 buy in. Dealer choice games. And I've played with him, watching him call with anything down to the river. This can be a tough player to play in tournaments or ring games; but if you know he is a calling station, you can take him down. Slow play your monsters to him, and stay with him with your sets or better. But watch out! When a flush or straight hits on the river or the board pairs and he is betting into you -FOLD, FOLD, FOLD. Stay patient and he will pay you off.

No comments: