Thursday, June 14, 2007

How do I get more?

I am always wondering how to get more? When I flop the nuts (or at least a hand I know is in the lead), how do I get everyone to stay in and maximize my profit from this hand. Sometimes, I try to appear to be bluffing. Sometimes I try to appear to have a big hand to make them think I am "appearing" to have a big hand but am bluffing. But sometimes it just doesn't matter what you do. You can check on the flop, then bet on the river only to get a fold. Or bet big on any turn and get a fold. Or slow play and not make any money on a monster hand.

Then there are hands like these. How could I have gotten more? I would like to think that I got the maximum I could. I put the caller on Ace/rag or maybe 2nd pair. Being that they were the chip leader, I knew I could get money but how do I get him to call an all in bet? Instead, I ended up playing the max I thought I could get and I am sure I left money on the table.

PokerStars Tournament $2.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200)
9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: (7175 in chips)
Seat 2: (12410 in chips)
Seat 3: (1705 in chips)
Seat 4: jamyhawk (4260 in chips)
Seat 5: (3925 in chips)
Seat 6: (3610 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: (3925 in chips)
Seat 8: (3015 in chips)
Seat 9: (5590 in chips)
jamyhawk: posts small blind 100
Seat 5: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jamyhawk [Js Ac]
Seat 6: folds
Seat 7: folds
Seat 8: folds
Seat 9: folds
Seat 1: folds
Seat 2: calls 200
Seat 3: folds
jamyhawk: raises 400 to 600
Seat 5: folds
Seat 2: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [4c Ad Jh]
jamyhawk: bets 200
Seat 2: calls 200
*** TURN *** [4c Ad Jh] [5s]
jamyhawk: checks
Seat 2: checks
*** RIVER *** [4c Ad Jh 5s] [Qs]
jamyhawk: bets 400
Seat 2: calls 400
*** SHOW DOWN ***
jamyhawk: shows [Js Ac] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
Seat 2: mucks hand
jamyhawk collected 2600 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2600 Rake 0
Board [4c Ad Jh 5s Qs]
Seat 1: folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: mucked [Jd Tc]
Seat 3: (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: jamyhawk (small blind) showed [Js Ac] and won (2600) with two pair, Aces and Jacks
Seat 5: (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9:folded before Flop (didn't bet)

2 comments:

WillWonka said...

I personally don't like the min-bets.. espcially on the flop after you showed strength preflop.

If he indeed does have an Ace, then 1/2 to 3/4 pot sized bet probably won't scare him away.

But at the same time, you extracted some chips from the guy so that is never bad.

gadzooks64 said...

I've found that checking the turn especially when it's a blank also gives the appearance of weakness and let's them bluff at the pot if they are so inclined.

You probably extracted the most you were going to get.

Thanks for the blog link. I'll add you to my roll!