Wednesday, March 30, 2011

WWJD -What Would Jamyhawk Do? QQ hand results

Click HERE to see the first part of this post from yesterday. 

I cannot believe that NOT ONE person would raise in my position there. UTG limp calls and fires a Cbet and you fold 100% of the time?

A few people advocated a shove could be in order, but NO ONE raises there? Be it for information, for value, or bluffing or whatever you call it, it is the same. I think a raise wins the hand enough of the time to make it worthwhile. A fold is too weak IMO.

I guess that's why I'm a DONKEY. And you all are SHARKS.

I agree with Waffles though, that you NEVER, EVER, EVER call there. NEVER.

In any case, thank you for all the comments. I'm going to have to do this again, because I'm obviously doing something very wrong in my play. I never fold there, so the only option for me is raising.

That being said, here is what happened. I had raised to $750, then the SB shoved. UTG shoved as well and I was looking at $925 to call into a $3930 pot or about 4 to 1 odds. I think a lot of people here say you have to call because of the odds. And maybe I do if we are heads up. But we are in the first level and this is when I figure I'm only ahead of JJ or 1010 and they both have better draws than me.

I used to call this every time. I have an over pair and take my chances that I'm not up against AA or KK. But really, there are a LOT of hands that beat me (see yesterday's pokerstove shots), so I decide to fold. I'm not as confident that I'm way behind after only a cbet from the UTG player. But now, folding is obviously the right choice.


Maybe when I grow up and become a better poker player, I can fold after the cbet.

By the way, I won the tournament. So pfft.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

If it was just you and the original limper, I definitely raise. This flop is just too coordinated and draw heavy with 4 people in the pot.

Anonymous said...

I missed the original discussion, but I flat here 100% of the time. I really don't think you gain more information by raising, and that just costs you chips (and really rarely gains you any). If you flat and the action beyond that point is heavy, you know your hand is in trouble and can fold. Flatting a bet like that should look strong. He can't fire again unless he is firing for value.

Just as a general note. This isn't 2005, where raising for information is considered a good play. By raising here, you turn your overpair into a bluff in a spot that is not appropriate. You still have at worst a medium strength hand. Play pot control.