Friday, July 25, 2008

Do you play it?

Question: 45 player tournament down to final 7. You are in 4th place. Cash starts at 6 so you are on bubble now. MP you get JJ. You raise, Button (in 5th place chip count) raises all in. Do you call?

I decided to. He flipped over AA and I went home. I think I make that same play every time. Don't you 7 handed? I put him on Ax. x being just about anything, but most likely Q or K. Maybe that was too much of a coin flip to call.....

Oh well. Most importantly, I am playing the best poker I have ever played. I fold a lot of hands that I used to play, and I have been maximizing my profits on a lot of hands. It is a lot easier to finish in the money in a tournament if you have a very nice chip stack going into the bubble or final table. I fold pocket pairs a lot (which some people may not advocate), but then watch an Ace hit on the flop and feel good about my decision.

But I play pocket pairs a lot as well. It depends on the mood of my table. Everything is about feel and I "feel" like I am playing well now.

I hope the tables are treating you right. I am off to a weekend of fishing with my sons and brothers. I'm watching Conan the Barbarian for the 125th time. I love that movie and soundtrack. Catch up with you next week.

Stay patient....

3 comments:

gadzooks64 said...

I had an eerily similar had two nights ago. I was playing a token sng when this hand came up.

Zooks is a Pussy

Slightly different scenario since it is a flat payout structure. This was the bubble for the money the next bubble was for token.

I despise being the bubble bitch in these things and this guy hadn't been getting out of line until the last few hands where he turned into a push monkey.

Ironically he got called a few hands later by QQ and lost a lot of chips then proceeded to be the bubble bitch. LMAO.

OhCaptain said...

I would have folded JJ unless I knew this guy to be an extremely aggressive player that had made this play before. While on the bubble, he could be just trying to chip up, but you showed strength.

If your table image had been that of a aggro monkey, he could have anything, but if you are playing tighter and more aggressive then ever, your image would be that of a solid player.

JJ is just out of my range to call my tournament on. Here's my reasoning, the volume of hands your are marginal against is dramatically bigger the QQ,KK and AA. You aren't really that big a favorite to AT, just 2:1, but as we discussed before, your image would suggest and if this player isn't a complete donkey, that he's got a hand that at best your are a 2:1 favorite but more likely a coin flip.

Is your goal to cash or win the whole thing? If your goal is to profit, fold. If your goal is to win the tournament, consider calling, but be ready for bad news.

SirFWALGMan said...

JJ is not Ok. It is weak. Peace.