Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What would you do, the ANSWER

Thanks to everyone who posted. It was, of course, unanimous that I should shove AKsooted to an early raise, even if it was risking my tournament right at the bubble.

For the set up to this post, CLICK HERE

Here was my initial thought process: I asked for a chip count and determined he had me covered 2-1. Then I thought about raising, but quickly realized I had too few chips for that. If I raise or call, and then I miss the flop, he is putting me all in. I could then be losing to the same hand or to AQ, KQ sooted, or a small pocket pair that I might have improved on at the turn or river. I need to win this tournament to make a big move upwards in points, and folding to 4th or 5th place doesn't improve me much more than going out now. If he folds now, I pick up 12,000 in chips -a big move. If I double up, I am the chip leader and can start bullying. There was a ton of upside to shoving.

So I shoved, he tabled JJ, and I went home. <---Quickly, as Wonka pointed out.

I thought about it on the way home (45 minute drive) and discussed it in detail with Hawkette. I actually rationalized that I could have folded to the bigger stack than mine and waited for a better time to make a move. I could pick on the smaller stacks or watch as they dwindled and got eliminated and then tried to battle it out with 4 of us left. That was assuming the shorties didn't double up. After all, I had 4 rounds at the current level left, if I just blinded out.

I know there are times when I won't race for my tournament life. If I have top pair weak kicker and someone shoves into me early in a tournament and I KNOW they are on a draw... I can fold there. I can even fold AK if there's a raise and a reraise that has me covered and it's early in the tournament. I can wait for a better spot (and hopefully I just set them up to bluff shove into me later when I have da nuts). But with 8 players left, holding AKsooted, I just couldn't find the fold button.

So I came back to the fact that I was trying to win the tournament. As Hoyazo said: "Shoving maximizes your EV in the tournament", and I totally agree. I got home, plugged into Pokerstove the ranges for the Villian (top 8% of hands) and got a 55% favorite for the AKsooted.

It was the right move, I just hated the end result.

But that's how I've been running in my monthly tournament this year. I did move up from 26th to 20th in points. Now I just need to win the next 3 tournaments to get in the top 7 and get a seat to the WSOP. I can do it!

By the way, Hawkette went out in 11th place and is staying steading in 2nd place overall in the standings. Congrats to her for dominating still.

Stay patient...

4 comments:

Jordan said...

I was too late to comment on the hand, but I also would've argued for a shove. This is especially true since you have not been doing well in these tourneys. It seemed like you needed to play for first, and this was the way to do it. I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I still think its the right play.

I had a somewhat similar situation, facing a bet on the flop when I had a super drawing hand (open ended straight flush draw). The bet was about 1/4 of my stack, so I decided I had no choice but to push because a call would leave me in a tough spot if I missed the turn.

In your case, if you just called, you could easily be pushed off of AK if you missed, even if your opponent also missed with AQ or AJ. You want to see all 5 cards with AK, so an all-in push is the only right move because you either win outright or get to see all 5 cards.

Jordan said...

I was too late to comment on the hand, but I also would've argued for a shove. This is especially true since you have not been doing well in these tourneys. It seemed like you needed to play for first, and this was the way to do it. I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I still think its the right play.

I had a somewhat similar situation, facing a bet on the flop when I had a super drawing hand (open ended straight flush draw). The bet was about 1/4 of my stack, so I decided I had no choice but to push because a call would leave me in a tough spot if I missed the turn.

In your case, if you just called, you could easily be pushed off of AK if you missed, even if your opponent also missed with AQ or AJ. You want to see all 5 cards with AK, so an all-in push is the only right move because you either win outright or get to see all 5 cards.

Anonymous said...

I really fail to see how this was any type of decision. Even the donks playing play chip tournies could tell that shoving is correct and probably give you a sound enough reason.

Anonymous said...

http://lumerkoz.edu really great sites, http://barborazychova.com/members/Buy-Premarin.aspx cers amused http://barborazychova.com/members/Buy-Nolvadex.aspx truism thronged http://rc8forum.com/members/Buy-Azithromycin.aspx intervening vitro http://www.comicspace.com/buy_avapro/ passportthat http://www.comicspace.com/aciphex/ scorer lucre