Thursday, November 19, 2009

I'm BAAAAAAAAAACK!

Studying poker again and playing like it. I can't believe how quickly I had gotten off track of my play. I am not a great player, but when I am studying and really focusing on poker, I can play great.

Last night was my monthly tournament. 36 players with top 6 getting paid. It is a points based tournament, so you will make some decisions differently than you would in just a "top 6 get paid" type of tournament.

I finished 9th, which I felt was fantastic for the cards I got. I had 99 once, raised and won with a continuation bet. I had 22 twice and folded them preflop to open raises both times. I had AK once and raised UTG and won the blinds. I had AJsooted once and won with a continuation bet after the flop.

That's it. NO 1010+, NO Darvin Moon special (AQ), NO flopped sets, NO straights, NO flushes. NOTHING. I did not show a hand until the hand I went out on. I shoved all in at least 3 times with position and got no call.

So overall, I was pleased with my play. However, it only takes 1 mistake to take you out of a tourney. There's no reloading. So here's my question: Would you?

In middle position with $6000 in chips. Blinds are 500/1000 w/100 ante. I have 6xBB or about 2 1/2 M. UTG is the chip leader with about $30,000 in chips and limps. I shove with A5sooted.

Would you?

I think the limper was what screwed me up. If he doesn't limp there, I pick up enough chips to be able to raise a hand (unless I run into something). But I hadn't shown down a hand all night and was getting respect for my shoves, so I think I would have been good.

The limper was a sub player, so he doesn't know me and I didn't have a good read on him. I had not played with him but for about 3 hands at the final table.

Anyway, I know it was a bad shove, but I felt like I was losing the chance to have fold equity. And for points, I could have blinded out another 20 hands. It was definitely a mistake.

I was very happy to have gotten to 9th place. Look for me on FTP. I'm back!

4 comments:

WillWonka said...

truthfully, when he called and showed what he had I was a little shocked. I actually thought you would be ahead or that he may have had a medium pair.

I didn't think it was a bad shove. You were definitely in the bad place to be shoving into all of the big stacks.

Nice finish.

Jose EP said...

Dear Webmaster,

My name is Jose, and I'm in charge of marketing Euro Partners and am looking for some serious partners for my brand.

I'm interested in having our Poker brand promoted on your website http://jamyhawk.blogspot.com/ and would like to discuss this in more detail ASAP.


Best Regards,
J.
--

Jose Danon
Affiliate Manager

* Mobile +972 54 8099 244 : Spain +34 900 957 056 ext. 2627
* US 1 866 725 8558 ext. 2627
* UK +44 0 800 066 4322 ext. 2627

IM : euro.josed@hotmail.com
Email : josedan@europartners.com
www.europartners.com

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

OhCaptain said...

Beware the limper in early position. I think your stack size left you with few options.