Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fuck you ESPN. I may never watch another poker program on your network again.

This year I decided to not follow the final table live online (which I did last year). I set up my TiVo this year, got my work done, my dinner done, put the kids to bed and then sat down to watch a sporting event as ESPN wanted it to be.

At first, I was enjoying it. Even though it felt rushed.

But then, I would see Ivey's chip updates move without seeing the hands. And then it got more rushed and more rushed and suddenly i was not enjoying it.

I was feeling like they got me here, but now they didn't care what they did for me because I was locked in.

But then the panic set in. "wait a minute. 5 people left with 15 minutes left in TiVo land. There must be some huge hands to get through all this."

10 minutes left with 4 people?

2 minutes left with 3?

The short stack can't win this next hand, there is less than 30 seconds left.

And then it was gone. .....
TiVo asked me: would you like to delete this recording? ESPN ran over TiVo time. How could they do that in a PRERECORDED EVENT?!?!?

3 people left and I could watch no more.

Nothing I could do. I avoided the Internet for two days prior. I warned coworkers: "don't dare tell me who won!" I warned my wife which websites might tip her off and she avoided finding out also.

But it was all a waste as now I need to log into my laptop to find out who won. A WASTE!

I don't even want to watch the final 3 duke it out on ESPN. Oh wait, I can't anyway!!!!! Fuckers!

Well now I will do what I should have done from the start. I'll find who did the real hand histories and summaries and download and enjoy more thorough coverage. The coverage a true poker fan really needs. Not that bullshit that ESPN put on the air tonight.

I hope you didn't wait to find out like I did. I certainly won't watch next year.

P.S. If you know where I could watch the hand by hand summary I would appreciate your comments. Thank you in advance.

Disgruntled poker fan.

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

BWoP said...

Pokernews.com has the hand by hand summaries here: http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/wsop-2009-final-table/november-nine/day1/

OhCaptain said...

My DVR quit too. I was shocked. How do you not announce the run over on, like you said, a PRE-RECORDED event!

Sigh.