Sunday, February 22, 2009

Charity Tournament Blinds

Once again, I am torn between making the tournament blinds longer but yet trying to keep a short tournament (6 hours or less). Also, I won't know the total number of players until the day of the tournament, so it could be 20 people + or -.

I wanted to keep small blinds for as long as I could so the first time players and the novices could get at least an hour of play with their starting chips. But then, I need to move the blinds up to compensate for the length of the tournament.

The starting chips are 1500 with a 500 add on at the door. I think all but 5 last year did the add on, so I just assume everyone is starting with 2000 chips. We are expecting around 80 players. I did 25 minute blinds last year, but wanted to stretch it to 30 minutes since 8 players per table will need 30 minutes to get around the table at least once. What do you think?

4 comments:

OhCaptain said...

While I like the longer blind levels, there are 2 spots that look a bit steeper then the rest. For me, these can make the jump a bit uneasy. Rounds 9,10 & 11 will end up being real gambling fests since they are significantly steeper then previous jumps. I like to transition from the early blinds by putting in at least one like 1500/3000 and 2500/5000 so that the jump just isn't quite as steep. To speed up the end of a tournamet without big jumps, I will shorten the blind levels a bit while making the values change slower.

My two cents.

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......

SirFWALGMan said...

I think Good Girl likes you. Why is the third break shorter than the first two? Just curious.

jamyhawk said...

Captain,
I'm going to make some revisions and will post tonight. Although, I have never seen a tournament where the blind levels change time length. I didn't even consider that an option...

Waffles,
Are you sure you are not Gooooooo Girl??? The third break would probably not include a chip up. If it did, it would be quicker than the first two breaks since there are less people.