Thursday, November 6, 2008

What would you do for $6.33 an hour?

What is it worth? Really? I mean, would you play poker for 5 hours for $3500? How about on a weeknight when you have to be up at 6:30am? Would you take 2 1/2 hours of sleep for $3500? I think most of us would say that is worth it. One rough day tired for $3500 is worth it. How about for $2100?
Now, let's say you intend to play for 5 hours for $3500, but only play for 3 hours and get $19.00. That's not worth it. No way. 4 1/2 hours of sleep later, you are left asking: "all that for $19.00?"
Oh, for the love of online poker! Is that why we do it? It must be. The thrill of making the right read and/or call. The overbet on the river with the nuts. For 3 hours we get the thrills of watching other players drop out who can't hang with the likes of us. But then, suddenly, it is over. And we get a measly $19.00 for it.
I got it all in with AJ versus QJ preflop, and the villain spiked a Queen. I don't mind though, as I was a 70% favorite. Even though I know that is going to happen 30% of the time, that doesn't tilt me anymore like it used to.
I'm sure I'll see you on the tables again tonight.
Stay patient....

1 comment:

Schaubs said...

I totally here ya there Jamster.

The tough part is staring at that top payment each time you check the lobby to see how many are left, when the next break is etc.

The $3500 is calling your name and all you have to do is outlast everyone for another 2-3 hours. Meanwhile you are thinking more and more about how little sleep you will get if (when) you make it deep and land at the final table...

But fuck does it ever sting when you get thirty percented!

Keep pluggin' away, that is all we can do.