Monday, May 19, 2008

Sleep results

My son Brian, who just graduated college with a Mathematics degree, crunched the sleep numbers for us. Here was his response:

The mean, or average, was 5.79.  The only numbers that I omitted were
the 9 the 8, however the 8 had a response as to when they were working,
so I used that response of 4.5. So the mean was 5.79. The median,
(the middle term of all the terms), was 6. The standard deviation was
.95. That means that from 5.79-.95 to 5.79+.95 approximately 68% of the data falls in there.
5.79-2(.95) to 5.79+2(.95) approximately 95% of the data falls there.

With the outliers of 9 and 8 hours, the avg becomes 6.17 hours and
changes everything else around a little bit more.


Now back to Jamyhawk: I am amazed at the number of hours. Under 6 hours of sleep for most people that are playing for fun or little extra cash. That seems crazy. We even had one with 3 hours a night? ? ? C'mon Riggs, that can't be healthy. And of course: congratulations to Smokkee who seems to be eating his cake and having it too. 9 hours of sleep a night. I don't even get 9 hours when catching up on the weekends.

Hope everyone enjoyed the little survey. I'll try another one soon.

My son Cal qualified for State in the 200 meter open, as expected. Top 16 runners in the state go at it this Friday and Saturday. Run Cal Run.

Don't forget to check out these sites: WillWonka and his What Would You Do hands, and OhCaptain and 20 questions.

I'm too tired to post any more (4 1/2 hours last night for me).

Stay patient. . . or maybe I should say: Get some rest.

3 comments:

WillWonka said...

I even took stats in college and don't know what to make of those numbers... other than I either need to get more sleep or there needs to be more hours in the day.

OhCaptain said...

I'm with willwonka! I want more hours in the day! Or maybe I should try and sleep more. Could be why I feel tired.

That whole thing turned out pretty interesting. I enjoyed the responses as they came in and the results. Nice job!

Thanks for the plug!

Riggstad said...

4 kids, work, and poker make for no sleep... and I aint complaining!