Thursday, May 24, 2007

For Openers

OK, so I can't write a blog every day (or every week) about how to fold KK. But it is a great start. There is a recent commercial for Fulltilt Poker that shows Jennifer Harman laying down KK when her opponent shifts his jaw while looking at an A that came on the flop. Now that is a little more "make believe" than I think would really happen there, but it proves this point: It is hard to fold KK. . . Kings, Cowboys, King Kong, Elvis Presley, Ace Magnets, .... whatever you call it, players love to go all in with KK. Did I say players? Some people might say donkeys. In either case, I recently decided that I will be a solid poker player once I learn how to fold KK.

So here is how it happened: I am 2nd to act in a 9 player tournament with 5 players left. The blinds were 50/100. 1st to act calls the BigBlind, I raise to 3x BigBlind and button calls, both blinds fold, and 1st calls. Flop comes 3c4dJs. 1st checks, I bet 600 (60% of pot), button calls and 1st to act folds. Turn comes Qh. Now I don't know the button well enough to put him on much but I am figuring 10's, 9's, 8's by the fact that he only called on the flop bet. Or he could be on a monster trying to trap. A monster would be JJ or QQ here. I fire 1,000 at the pot (maybe 40%) and he immediately goes all in. He has me covered by about $10, so we are basically even. I'm into the pot for about $2,000 and I have $3,000 in front of me.

Now I start thinking about AA, JJ or QQ. And it is possible that a set is out there. I used to just fire all in with KK, but have since learned to slow down. Especially with all the possible combinations out there that can beat me. . . But what if this guy is a donkey with AQ. That is definitely a donkey move to fire all in with TopPairTopKicker (TPTK).

I lay it down. Wow! I think to myself that I must now be a solid player. I have learned how to fold KK. I believe this was the first time. . . I went on to finish 2nd in the tournament and who finished first? Yes. My opponent from that hand. Nevermind... I am not a solid player... He played me... I bet he had A2o/s.

I need to find a new question to make me a solid player. Maybe when I can fold Jacks over 7's when the board is 7h7s9cJc4c (a hand I lost with). Then I will be a solid player.

What do you think?

Stay Patient...

Jamyhawk

No comments: