Monday, December 7, 2009

Can you fold KK?

Can you fold KK here? I think everyone would agree you cannot fold KK preflop. I've heard some people say they would on the bubble of a big tournament, but let's assume you would never fold it preflop.

I pick up KK in the cutoff and raise 3x BB. I have about 3500 in chips and am just a hair below average in a pretty big MTT. Everyone folds to the BB who calls.

Flop comes Q105 rainbow. Villian here checks to me and I bet 2/3 pot. He comes over me all in with about 300 more chips than me, so covering me.

Can you fold KK here? First thing I think of is Q10. 1010 or QQ or AA, and the villian would have reraised me preflop, right? AQ wouldn't shove, nor would 55. Now it is entirely possible he is on AJ or KJ, with the straight draw. AK probably would have shoved preflop or would have bet out to try and take the pot.

I just can't imagine any 0ther hand but Q10. I kept thinking it HAS to be Q10.

Yet, I cannot hit the fold button. Could you?

I called, he tabled Q10 and I went home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

need more info. What were the blinds/antes at? had he been aggro?

jamyhawk said...

I remember having just over 20BB's, so probably 75/150 with no antes.

I don't remember having a read on him specifically.

SirFWALGMan said...

I have folded KK when I was positive someone had AA.. I was right of course. It is normally a bad fold I guess but if your good at reading people and you trust your instincts and they are SCREAMING he has AA then you have to fold.

OhCaptain said...

Weird, but waffles said. Trusting your instincts can be really hard. Knowing you are beat is easy, acting on that is the hard part. Depending on who the villain is, I probably call.

Anonymous said...

Based on your stack size estimates, I snap call. AQ would shove here, as would KQ (though rare since you hold KK). QJ & Q9 may even shove on you, as well as something like J9 and KJ (again, unlikely due to card removal).

That is a lot of his range you beat.