Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Live Play

In an effort to sharpen my skills, I've been playing live once a week. I leave for Vegas next Friday, so wanted to get some live sessions in against people I don't know. It may sound basic for some of you, but my live play really needed some help.

Anyway, last night was my 3rd session in as many weeks. I played a 20 min blinds $100 buy in. I felt I was playing really well. I got paid off on my big hands (I made sets, straights and flushes) and I folded some big hands at the right time (I folded KQ to AK on a KQA board). I ended up finishing 4th.

Here's my question for you. What do you do in this situation?

UTG (7,000)
Button (82,000)
SB Me (45,000)
BB (51,000)

5 spots get paid. 4th gets $281 and 3rd gets $500. 2nd and 1st are irrelevant here.

Blinds are 3500/7000 no antes. UTG is all in next hand by default. I pick up QQ. UTG folds and the button folds.

So what do you do? Do you shove? Do you fold for 3rd place? Do you min raise and fold to a shove?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?

I raised to $21,000 hoping to draw in the BB. I figure, if he wakes up with AA, AK or KK, so be it. Any other pocket pair and I will be the chip leader with 2nd place guaranteed (1st place guaranteed in my mind as the chip leader was NOT a strong player at all). I've seen him all in a couple of times with any Ace and I'm willing to race if he is on Ace rag. Best case I am the new chip leader, but I'm also happy adding $7,000 to my stack by just buying the blinds.

BB shoves over me and I insta call. He shows A10off suit and spikes his Ace on the river.....

So what would you have done?

Shorty was all in and out on the next hand. . .

3 comments:

Shrike said...

I would have shoved (or called if villain came over the top, as you did). This is a no-brainer since QQ is way, way ahead of their hand ranges.

-PL

Jeremy said...

With the blinds this high I would have just shoved, not giving him the chance to come over the top. I'm sure he was thinking there was a chance you might fold with the short stack all in on the next hand but he may have called anyway. As for folding and hoping the shorty goes out the next hand, he could wake up with AA and double or triple up. Congrats on a nice tourney though.

Travis Johnston said...

That situation is perfect for a stop and go since your first to act after the flop. Bet small like 14k so they are less likely to come over the top and then push on the flop unless it comes down super scary. They will be hard pressed to call another 31k for just two chances to hit and ace. If it comes AKx then toss it and wait out the 7k guy.