Monday, March 16, 2009

What are your thoughts on this hand? 6th hand of the tournament.

Full Tilt Poker Game #11179727964: PPI / Riverchasers Tournament (83195958), Table 3 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:04:30 ET - 2009/03/16
Seat 1: cardgrrl (2,985), is sitting out
Seat 3: TheCloserX5 (3,000)
Seat 4: Julius_Goat (3,455)
Seat 5: dueyv9 (2,955)
Seat 6: niktak (3,000)
Seat 7: jamyhawk (2,560)
Seat 9: NumbBono (3,045)
jamyhawk posts the small blind of 15
NumbBono posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jamyhawk [Tc Ad]
cardgrrl folds
TheCloserX5 folds
Julius_Goat folds
dueyv9 raises to 90 <---- raise 3x bb from the cutoff. standard steal type move.
niktak folds
jamyhawk raises to 180 <---resteal. I don't really want to play this hand as much as I want to push him off a steal. His range has to be very wide from the cutoff.
NumbBono folds
dueyv9 calls 90<--just a call. that puts his hand range less than premium. AA-QQ definitely repops me. AK, AQ and sometimes AJ will also.
*** FLOP *** [3d Jd Ac]
jamyhawk checks<--intended check raise to show strength.
dueyv9 bets 240<--expected with any two cards
jamyhawk raises to 550<--this bet should really narrow down the range of cards
dueyv9 calls 310<--call only? He doesn't love his hand. NO AJ. No JJ or 33. Could be straight draw (K10, Q10). Could be weak Ace (A8, A9). Could be diamond draw.
*** TURN *** [3d Jd Ac] [2d]<--scare card for the possible flush.
jamyhawk has 15 seconds left to act
jamyhawk bets 550<--take time to act to fake weakness which shows strength. Am I overthinking it here for dueyv9? If I act weak and bet small he will definitely put me on flush.
dueyv9 raises to 2,225, and is all in<--insta shove. Doesn't help me define him much. Could be busted straight draw (me wishing). A flush would call and try to get value on the river, right? A2 is a real possibility. But in any case, I have backdoor flush draw still or a 10 or a paired board card to beat A2.
jamyhawk has 15 seconds left to act
jamyhawk has requested TIME
jamyhawk calls 1,280, and is all in<--wishing....
dueyv9 shows [2s 2h]<--not expected. He called a reraise preflop, then a check raise on the flop with only 22. Then with bottom set and flush on the board he had no problem shoving all in.
jamyhawk shows [Tc Ad]
Uncalled bet of 395 returned to dueyv9
*** RIVER *** [3d Jd Ac 2d] [Ah]
dueyv9 shows a full house, Twos full of Aces
jamyhawk shows three of a kind, Aces
dueyv9 wins the pot (5,150) with a full house, Twos full of Aces
jamyhawk stands up
*** SUMMARY ***


Bottom line is it was a bad play by me to call his shove at the turn. I talked myself into the call with wishful thinking. But most of the time, the preflop and flop play should be +EV for me. Or was I betting too small? Anything but a 2 on the turn and I take down a really nice pot. Actually a 2 of clubs and I can get away from the hand. So it was 1 card that got me. But hats off to dueyv9. He's definitely got me interested in sitting at the same table with him again.

Looks like I owe BamBam another $1, but I genuinely would like feedback on this hand.

Thanks and stay patient...

9 comments:

smokkee said...

not much more you can do there. you want fishees calling chasing 2 outers obv.

SirFWALGMan said...

Duey needs to learn to fold. I played a lot with him this past week. Your cr could have been bigger. Not because you fear the almighty 22, but because the board is seriously draw heavy. I would have popped it a bit more.. but no way 22 should be calling you there..

Turn he shows so much strength you have to fold. Having a bit of a read on the guy I think when he shows that much strength it is not a total bluff. It is early and you have a lot of chips left. We all get attached to our hands sometimes though.

lj said...

you min raised him pf, how do you expect him to fold? same on flop, not crazy for him to see this as you being weak. def sucks that he hit a 2 outer on the turn. he is also the same player that checked a set on three streets in a three way pot (iirc) on lucko's bust out hand last night. makes him pretty hard to read imo.

lucko said...

"jamyhawk raises to 180 <---resteal. I don't really want to play this hand as much as I want to push him off a steal."

Gold!

jamyhawk said...

Thanks for the feedback. Bottom line, I played it weak and he picked up on that. I should have checkraised harder, and then after it all, I should have folded after he showed strength on the turn.

Thanks for the razzing (again) lucko. You must think I'm a pretty horrible player.

lj said...

v. most players if you make a real rr pre, and a real raise on the flop, you won't see a turn. if he does call you w/ 22 on the flop, that's pretty awesome.

lucko said...

Not at all, I like this blog and dont say that about many. The "I dont want to play this so let me minreraise it out of position" did make me laugh tho.

jamyhawk said...

Points well taken LJ. Thanks lucko. You do keep me laughing, by pointing out the absurdity of my statements.

Anonymous said...

i had a very similar hand come down like that, only there were two aces on deck, i held AT and pot bet both the flop and the turn and he called both and then shoved on the river for about 1/4 of the pot when a 3 fell

his holdings?

thats right, 33

i'm not sure why the matrix rewards this type of play, but it does too often

he played bad, you played good and got a cooler, that's poker, make a note beside him that says "donkey" and move on